Re: See Temp Table from Trigger - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Christoph Haller
Subject Re: See Temp Table from Trigger
Date
List pgsql-sql

> Hi List!
> Is there a way a Trigger can see a Temporary Table or better - check
if a
> Temp Table exists?
> - Or can i define a "Session Variable" that will allow this?

Joachim,
Find below a previuos thread on temp-table-existence.
Hope this helps.
Regards, Christoph

From: Mike Papper <m.papper@fantastic.com>
Subject: [SQL] Finding if a temp table exists in the current connection
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2003 00:09:33 -0800

Is there a way (i.e., access theinternal pg_ tables) to find out if a
particular temp table already exists (in the current connection)?

I have written some stored procedures that check if a table exists and
if a
column exists in a table. This is used so I can perform upgrades of our
system (if table doesnt exist, call create table... sql).

I would like to do a similar thing for temp tables.

I have noticed that if another connection creates a temp table, it will
show up in the pg_* tables so that all ocnnections can see the table.

Is there some standard SQL way to test?

--
Mike Papper

>> Is there a way (i.e., access theinternal pg_ tables) to find out if a
> particular temp table already exists (in the current connection)?>> I have written some stored procedures that check
ifa table exists

and if a> column exists in a table. This is used so I can perform upgrades of
our> system (if table doesnt exist, call create table... sql).>> I would like to do a similar thing for temp tables.>>
Ihave noticed that if another connection creates a temp table, it

will> show up in the pg_* tables so that all ocnnections can see the table.
>> Is there some standard SQL way to test?>
I'm using 7.3.2 and it seems there is a way.
I've found out by starting a psql session using the -E option.
This shows you the SQL behind \dt which shows the current temp tables.
It looks like they are created in name spaces called "pg_temp_<N>,
where N is simply a connection counter.

SELECT n.nspname as "Schema",c.relname as "Name"
FROM pg_catalog.pg_class c LEFT JOIN pg_catalog.pg_namespace n ON n.oid
= c.relnamespace
where n.nspname like 'pg_temp_%' AND
pg_catalog.pg_table_is_visible(c.oid) ;

If I do (within 1st connection)
create temp table tgif (dummy int);
and the select above returns Schema   | Name
(1 row)
And within a 2nd connection
create temp table tgif (dummy int);
and the select above returns Schema   | Name
(1 row)

Does this help?

Regards, Christoph