Problems configuring --with-python on RedHat7.2 - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Mark Wheaton
Subject Problems configuring --with-python on RedHat7.2
Date
List pgsql-admin
Hi all,

RedHat 7.2 with the standard horrors of Python 1.5 and 2.1 installed in
/usr/lib. There's so many deps on these in the standard RH install that
it's easier to leave them in, or so I thought...

A new python in /opt/python2.2.2

when I configure the source with:

./configure --prefix=/opt/postgres7.3.2
--with-includes=/opt/python2.2.2/include
--with-libraries=/opt/python2.2.2/lib --with-python
--with-openssl=/opt/openssl0.9.7 --with-pam

it barfs with the following error:

checking for python... /usr/bin/python
checking Python installation directories... /usr/lib/python1.5
checking how to link an embedded Python application... no
configure: error: Python Makefile not found

So, it's looking in the wrong place for its Python, and you can't give
an argument to --with-python to tell it which python to look at.

Once I took out the --with-python, it worked fine, so I'm gonna go back
and try building the python interface module separately.

Anyone else seen this, or is it just me? Couldn't find anything in the
archives about it, hence the post.

Cheers,

Mark

RMS Services Ltd Virus Scanning Service. For further information visit
http://www.rms.co.uk or call UK 01454 281265