Re: pga3: SQL Formatting - Mailing list pgadmin-hackers

From Andreas Pflug
Subject Re: pga3: SQL Formatting
Date
List pgadmin-hackers
Dave Page wrote:

>I'm after some thoughts on SQL formatting for the SQL pane in pgAdmin 3,
>not so much about how it's indented etc, but whether we include DROPs,
>ALTER's etc.
>
>-- Table: public.foo
>
>-- DROP TABLE public.foo;
>
>CREATE TABLE public.foo (
>  bar INTEGER
>);
>

>Comments, thoughts? I'm leaning towards including both the DROP and
>CREATE myself, without commenting out either.

For my opinion, a "launch sql window" and F5 shouldn't do harm if
executed by mistake, thus the DROP should be commented out.
The SQL pane is a hint for designing own db schema scripts, showing how
objects are created. The drop is an additional tip how the syntax would
be to alter by command line. Thus the drop should stay commented out.
The SQL pane of the property dialogs will show the complete batch
executably.

Regards,
Andreas