Stored Procedure Question - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Martin Chantler
Subject Stored Procedure Question
Date
Re: Stored Procedure Question  (Rajesh Kumar Mallah <rmallah@trade-india.com>)
List pgsql-sql
Hi all,

I am confused about Postgres stored procedures (aka functions), can they
only return one value???
All examples I have seen don't return a recordset

In MS SQL I have many simple procedures that execute SQL given parameters
and return
a recordset, possibly many rows long

Example:
CREATE PROCEDURE SECGetMenuItems (@userID as varchar(50)) AS
Select distinct SECTask.TaskName, MenuDisplay, NodeName, ParentNode, Type,
ProcedureName, TaskType, Icon
From (SECTaskContext inner join SECTask on SECTaskContext.TaskName =
SECTask.TaskName)
left  join
((select Type, TaskName from SECPermission inner join SystemUserDetails AS
SUD on SECPermission.UserName = SUD.UserID where SUD.UserID =  @userID)union
(select Type, TaskName from SECPermission inner join SECUserGroup on
SECPermission.UserName = SECUserGroup.GroupName where
SECUserGroup.MemberName =  @userID))
as Answer on Answer.TaskName = SECTask.TaskName
Where (Hide = 0
or Type is not null)
and Nodename is not null
order by ParentNode

My question is, can I get PostGres procedures to do the same thing?
I am also hoping that they return data to the client in a similar way (I am
using ODBC)

e.g.:
rs.open "SECGetMenuItems 'MC44'"
then you can treat rs as a normal recordset

Thanks for any help,

Martin Chantler

Martin Chantler
Application Developer
ACW Technology Ltd
Comines Way
Hedge End
Southampton
Hants  SO30 4XX    U.K.

Tel:  023 8048 6000                      Fax:  023 8048 6001

International Tel :  +44 23 8048 6000    Fax : +44 23 8048 6001

E-mail: mc44@acw.co.uk     Website/URL:  www.acw.co.uk