Re: Solaris - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Mark Kirkwood
Subject Re: Solaris
Date
List pgsql-general
scott.marlowe wrote:

>My general experience from a year ago was that Linux was about 2 to 3
>times faster on older 32 bit sparc hardware than Solaris, and just under 2
>times as fast on 64 bit hardware.

Wow - 2 times faster is significant ! It would be interesting to try a
midrange SMP box ( e.g E280/E480 ).

>  The issue in the past was mainly that Solaris had a brain damaged
>sort() call that was very slow when it had a lot of duplicate keys.  That
>has since been updated by Sun.

Hmm - I ran into that situation with qsort() and many equal keys (see
Hackers thread "Solaris Performance"). Sadly Sun have not amended that
situation at all (in Solaris 8 anyway).

best wishes

Mark