Triggers on Foreign Tables - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Robert Lefkowitz
Subject Triggers on Foreign Tables
Date
List pgsql-general
Not sure if this is a feature request or a bug report.

I'm trying to use Foreign Tables for a variety of things and it is useful to have a foreign table which appears to be
read/write.

Having set one up, I can select data from it.   However, I can't insert, update or delete.

No worries, thinks I.  I'll just create an   INSTEAD OF TRIGGER -- and handle the updates that way.

However, one can't create a TRIGGER (in PosgreSQL version 9.2) on a foreign table -- the error message is:  not a table
orview.

My current workaround is to create a view which is defined as   CREATE VIEW viewOnForeignTable AS SELECT * FROM
foreignTable

I can then create INSTEAD OF TRIGGERs on viewOnForeignTable, as well as SELECT from viewOnForeignTable -- so that
becomesthe canonical interface.

However, it seems like it should be just as acceptable to apply the INSTEAD OF TRIGGERs to the FOREIGN TABLE .

Should I consider this a bug (that I can't create aTRIGGER on a foreign table?) or a feature request (to allow creating
TRIGGERson foreign tables)?

Thanks,

r0ml