Re: Anyone working on better transaction locking? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: Anyone working on better transaction locking?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Michael Paesold wrote:
> I see there is a whole TODO Chapter devoted to the topic. There is the idea
> of pre-forked and persistent backends. That would be very useful in an
> environment where it's quite hard to use connection pooling. We are
> currently working on a mail system for a free webmail. The mda (mail
> delivery agent) written in C connects to the pg database to do some queries
> everytime a new mail comes in. I didn't find a solution for connection
> pooling yet.

I am still playing with the model of reusing connections in a
transparent fashion with a pool manager that uses SCM_RIGHTS messages
over UNIX domain socketpairs. I will scribble down some concept anytime
soon. This will include some more advantages than pure startup cost
reduction, okay?

Jan