Re: pg_dump: NOTICE: ShmemAlloc: out of memory - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Mike Mascari
Subject Re: pg_dump: NOTICE: ShmemAlloc: out of memory
Date
List pgsql-general
Tom Lane wrote:
> Brad Paul <bradpaul.a.with@long.tail.bdp-optics.com> writes:
>
>>I'm trying to dump a database called stocks. I did:
>>pg_dump stocks > stocks.sql
>>pg_dump: NOTICE:  ShmemAlloc: out of memory pg_dump: Attempt to lock table
>>"slab" failed.  ERROR:  LockAcquire: holder table out of memory
>

>>This database has 3478 tables.
>

> You probably need to increase max_locks_per_transaction.  Or better,
> rethink your schema.  Thousands of tiny tables is usually a bad idea
> compared to a smaller number of (properly indexed) tables.

The number 3478 is coincidentally close to the number of NYSE
listed stocks (which drops a few here, picks up a few there)
over time. Although, as of yesterday, it was 3611. Hmmm...sounds
suspicious... :-)

Mike Mascari
mascarm@mascari.com