Re: possible time change issue - known problem? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dan Langille
Subject Re: possible time change issue - known problem?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 7 Apr 2003 at 10:32, Tom Lane wrote:

> "Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org> writes:
> > Yes, as hinted in the message subject.  Hmmm, so that's how it's
> > doing the math.  I would think '24 hours' would give a different
> > answer to '1 day' since '1 day' is not necessarily == '24 hours'.
>
> Type INTERVAL knows about months and seconds, nothing else.

Hmmm, months and seconds only.   Then is the documentation wrong?

5.5.1.4. Intervals

interval values can be written with the following syntax:

  Quantity Unit [Quantity Unit...] [Direction]
 @ Quantity Unit [Quantity Unit...] [Direction]

where: Quantity is a number (possibly signed), Unit is second,
minute, hour, day, week, month, year, decade, century, millennium, or
abbreviations or plurals of these units; Direction can be ago or
empty. The at sign (@) is optional noise. The amounts of different
units are implicitly added up with appropriate sign accounting.

As found at:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/view.php?version=7.3&idoc=0&file=dataty
pe-datetime.html

>  I've opined in the past that it should be months, days, and seconds,
> but no one seems excited enough about the issue to do the nontrivial
> work involved ...

If it truly is that trivial, please point me at the file I need to
hack.
--
Dan Langille : http://www.langille.org/