Re: more contrib: log rotator - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: more contrib: log rotator
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Andrew Sullivan writes:
>
> > Is anyone interested in having pglog-rotator?
>
> What would get me a whole lot more excited is if the server could write
> directly to a file and do its own rotating (or at least reopening of
> files).

From a technical point of view I don't think that is desirable. The
entire log traffic would have to be routed through the postmaster, as it
is in LibertyRMS's log rotator now through the perl script. And we
really try to keep everything outside the postmaster that does not
absolutely have to be in there for stability reasons.

We can discuss if the log rotator should be a child process of the
postmaster or the other way round, but that will not change the flow of
bytes between the processes in any way.

I would say it's better the way it is, because it does not pollute the
postmasters wait logic with another exception.

My ideal solution would be to integrate the log rotators functionality
into a C version of pg_ctl that forks and detaches from the control
terminal in the way, daemons should.

Jan