Re: indexes not being used! - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Joe Conway
Subject Re: indexes not being used!
Date
List pgsql-admin
Jodi Kanter wrote:
> We have a query that is causing performance problems. The indexes do
> not appear to be used despite the fact that they exist. I dropped the
> table and recreated from scratch. I reindexed as well and still no
> luck. We vacuum analyze the system often. I will do my best to list
> all that is happening. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
> If you can offer some insight as to what the explains are telling me
> that would be so helpful. Is there some documentation somewhere that
> discusses such results? Thanks a lot! Jodi Kanter

It's hard to tell from what you did post, but if the query returns a
significant portion of the table then a seq scan is faster, and is
properly picked by the optimizer. Please post EXPLAIN ANALYZE results.

(and actually, this thread probably should be on the SQL or the PERFORM
lists, not this one)

Joe