Re: Big insert/delete memory problems - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Kurt Overberg
Subject Re: Big insert/delete memory problems
Date
List pgsql-general
Hmmmm....are you running on RedHat 7.3?  I'm not using any plpgsql,
triggers or foreignkeys.  Very simple DB.  I'm using the pre-compiled
RPM version of 7.3.2 on the production machine.  I have a similar
environment setup  running under Debian (woody), but that's a version
that I compiled from the source, and I can't really seem to duplicate
this behavior.  Things are kinda moving around a bit, because I'm
switching from Struts DB pooling to the Postgresql driver JDBC2 pooling
mechanism as well (this is a live production server, and I gotta get
this thing fixed so I can get some sleep and stop having to babysit the
site), so I'm throwing everything I can think of at this.  So here's the
main question:

During a large select/insert like this, the memory use of the pgsql
backend goes up, right?  Is it supposed to go down afterwards?  I just
need one fact to hang on to here to help me work this out.  I think my
plan at this point is to compile 7.3.2 on redhat with a fresh install
and see how that behaves.

Thanks again, Tom.  I appreciate your help.

/kurt