Re: EOL for 7.4? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bernd Helmle
Subject Re: EOL for 7.4?
Date
List pgsql-hackers

--On 12. November 2009 15:23:06 -0500 Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net>
wrote:

> What I and others have been arguing is necessary to do EOL right is a
> serious amount of notice, by way of press releases etc. We can't expect
> users to keep polling our web site to see if there's an EOL. That means
> we need to prepare for an EOL months or a year in advance, ISTM.

I think that's the key argument here. We have several customers, which need
a very careful and time consuming evaluation before they can go into
production with a new platform, which is quite time consuming and needs
significant preparation for them. Announcing an EOL early in time would
give them the required time before the version used disappears.

--
Thanks
Bernd