Re: EOL for 7.4? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: EOL for 7.4?
Date
Re: EOL for 7.4?
List pgsql-hackers

Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum wrote:
> On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 10:32:17 -0800 Josh Berkus wrote:
>

>> The same goes for other OSS projects.  There's quite a few random OSS
>> apps which were created on PG 7.4 and have never offered their users an
>> upgrade path (Gnuworld comes to mind).  They need an EOL announcement to
>> get them motivated to upgrade.
>>

> I know several customers who decided to move from 7.3 only after the
> EOL was announced. If 7.3 would not has see an EOL, they would never
> ever have moved to a newer version.

Nobody that I have seen is arguing against EOLing 7.4.

>> We'd want to do a full publicity around this, including a "how do I
>> upgrade" page and an "what does EOL mean for an OSS project" page.  If
>> this goes well, we could EOL 8.0 after 8.5 comes out, and thus decrease
>> our maintenance burden.
>>

> +1

The only burden of significance I have seen actually mentioned, as
opposed to supposed, is from Dave Page.

What I and others have been arguing is necessary to do EOL right is a
serious amount of notice, by way of press releases etc. We can't expect
users to keep polling our web site to see if there's an EOL. That means
we need to prepare for an EOL months or a year in advance, ISTM.

cheers

andrew