Re: Roadmap for FE/BE protocol redesign - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Christof Petig
Subject Re: Roadmap for FE/BE protocol redesign
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Christof Petig wrote:
> If you know you are never interested in metadata, you can omit the
> describe flag at all. [null indication and type specification is of
> course always needed to access the actual data]

More exactly they are sent separately:
null indication is per row 'D'/'B' and type specification is per query 'T'.

If the client does not ask for metadata one might omit attrelid,attnum
(*) and field name in the 'T' packet. One might argue whether this small
win per query times column rectifies to implement the feature. But then
we'd need a method to query them lateron (otherwise *DBC could never
omit them at first).
  Christof

*) they are not there, yet ;-)