Re: stored procedures - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Petre Scheie
Subject Re: stored procedures
Date
List pgsql-general
I think the dba's doubt's about pg's stored procedures sprang partly
from our inability to get to www.postgresql.org yesterday (the page kept
coming up blank, even for me).  I didn't have any doubt about pg
supporting them, but I'm a unix admin, not a dba, so I couldn't
intelligently answer his questions.  I'm just the point person in the
company for pg because I was the one who brought up the idea of using
it.  The good news is that everyone company who has looked into it has
been amazed by what we can do with it.  Working with Open Source
requires a bit of a different mindset than with proprietary software.
It is perhaps similar to the situation where people who grow up in
totalitarian countries, then move to democratic states, but then often
feel lost because they don't have 'big brother' telling them what to do
and how all the time. ;-)

Thanks for all the answers and help!

Petre

Your DBA obviously can't be bothered to look very hard. The question is
almost insulting.

~Berend Tober

pl-pgsql

see the manual: programmer.pdf

PostgreSQL has stored functions, more similar to Oracle's PL/SQL than
MSSQL's "stored procedures".

Function in Postgres can be written in PL/pgSQL (similar to PL/SQL),
PL/Perl, PL/Tcl, PL/Python, PL/sh, PL/R (similar to S-Plus statistical
language), and I think there might be a PL/Java available somewhere.

See:
http://www.us.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/7.3/postgres/programmer-pl.html
http://webmail.postgresql.org/~petere/plsh.html
http://www.joeconway.com/plr/