Re: stored procedures - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joe Conway
Subject Re: stored procedures
Date
List pgsql-general
Petre Scheie wrote:
> One of our DBAs is asking about pg's support for stored procedures.  He
> says he can't find any docs about it.  As I understand it, what he wants
> is to be able store a series of sql statements that would be executed
> when called.  He doesn't want to have to go to an external language like
> perl or tcl to do this, and says this sort of thing is standard
> procedure on Oracle, SQLServer, etc.  He sent me the definition shown
> below, about what SPs are.  Does PG support this?  Can someone give me a
> link to some docs that I can send to him?  Thanks.

PostgreSQL has stored functions, more similar to Oracle's PL/SQL than
MSSQL's "stored procedures".

Function in Postgres can be written in PL/pgSQL (similar to PL/SQL),
PL/Perl, PL/Tcl, PL/Python, PL/sh, PL/R (similar to S-Plus statistical
language), and I think there might be a PL/Java available somewhere.

See:
http://www.us.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/7.3/postgres/programmer-pl.html
http://webmail.postgresql.org/~petere/plsh.html
http://www.joeconway.com/plr/