Re: Cross-Platform development - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From John Chapman
Subject Re: Cross-Platform development
Date
List pgsql-novice
> questions:
> 1) does anybody know if it is possible if there exists a gui-design
> -software for mac os x and java so that i can develop the interface
> completly on my mac and port it to windows. 2) are there better ways
> instead of using java/jdbc regarding portability, requested time ((and
> speed))

Hello Martin,

(Please be patient, I am not an expert)

I am curious why you are developing an application that actually runs
on the machine, instead of using a webbrowser? You probably have some
very specific reasons for this, but I am still curious. I am just a
beginning developer, but to me not having to install anything on the
clients workstations are pretty nice, avoids a lot of the crashes,
etc. Also so portable.

Another guy I have spoken with has a database product that many
companies use; they used to use an actual application, but have since
moved to only browser support. And for the most part- there are
always exceptions- they don't have to do too much to make sure that
the Mac users can also use the browser just fine.

I see a lot of benefits and negatives on both sides of the equation.

John Chapman