postgres process and ps stats - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jean-Christian Imbeault
Subject postgres process and ps stats
Date
List pgsql-general
During the execution of program entring data in a pg DB I follow what
the postmaster is doing using ps. From ps's output it seems that the
process uses about 2 minutes of CPU time before resetting the CPU time
counter to 0.

USER       PID %CPU %MEM   VSZ  RSS TTY      STAT START   TIME COMMAND
postgres  5682 33.0  0.6  8292 3388 pts/1    R    22:29   0:00 postgres:
postgres TAL2 192.168.255.14 SELECT
[snip]
postgres  5682 40.6  0.6  8292 3408 pts/1    R    22:29   2:02 postgres:
postgres TAL2 192.168.255.14 INSERT

I'm trying to understand why this is.

Which part of the documentation can I read that would help me understand
why it seems one process does something for 2 minutes and then the CPU
time counter is reset to zero?

Jc