Re: performance issues for processing more then 150000 - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Justin Clift
Subject Re: performance issues for processing more then 150000
Date
List pgsql-performance
Jakab Laszlo wrote:
> Hello Chris,
>
> I mean here 150000 inserts/day ( quickly grows constantly )...  - with
> transactions and on the same table ... maybe after one significant
> amount of time we can move the records of one year to one archive table ...
> And some 2-3 millions of selects / day ...

That's no problem at all, depending on:

  + How complex are the queries you're intending on running?

  + How will the data be spread between the tables?

  + The amount of data per row also makes a difference, if it is
extremely large.

> I would like to know also some hardware related advice.

You're almost definitely going to be needing a SCSI or better RAID
array, plus a server with quite a few GB's of ECC memory.

If you need to get specific about hardware to the point of knowing
exactly what you're needing, you're likely best to pay a good PostgreSQL
consultant to study your proposal in depth.

Hope this helps.

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

> thanks,