Re: Debugging postmaster to fix possible bug in Postgres? Followup - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Dmitry Tkach
Subject Re: Debugging postmaster to fix possible bug in Postgres? Followup
Date
Re: Debugging postmaster to fix possible bug in Postgres? Followup  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-sql

> SQL92 says:
>     <direct select statement: multiple rows> ::=
>          <query expression> [ <order by clause> ]
>     [...]
>     3) Let T be the table specified by the <query expression>.
>
>     4) If ORDER BY is specified, then each <sort specification> in the
>        <order by clause> shall identify a column of T.

Then it looks like postgres behaviour is still not compliant, if I read it correctly, because

select x from mytable order by y;

should be invalid according to this, but works just fine in postres.

Dima.

P.S. I think, this is a great feature actually (missed it a lot in informix), so, I hope, you guys won't start
discussinghow to fix it :-)