Re: location of the configuration files - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From mlw
Subject Re: location of the configuration files
Date
Re: location of the configuration files
List pgsql-hackers
reasonenough to avoid

compliance.  Either that or those of you who build for distributions are
making an ill advised change.  Simply because the distribution makes the
decision to add PostgreSQL, or some other package, to it's distribution
(andFHS) specifically requires that.  All configuration files

MUST be under /etc; the reason is to make the system administrator's job
easier.  Part of the raison d'etre of a distribution is to rationalise
the idiosyncrasies of individual projects.  The locations used by
locally-built packages are up to the local administrator, but they
really should not be in /etc and are recommended to be under /usr/local.

I really don't see why there is such a not-invented-here mentality about
this issue.  I say again, standards-compliance is the best way.  It
makes life easier for everyone if standards are followed.  Don't we
pride ourselves on being closer to the SQL spec than other databases?
Any way, if PostgreSQL stays as it is, I will continue to have to ensure
It doesn't have anything to do with "not-invented-here", which is a
common refrain by people who don't like our decisions, like "Why don't
you use mmap()?  Oh, it's because I thought of it and you didn't".  Does
anyone seriously believe that is the motiviation of anyone in this
project!  I certainly don't.

Now, on to this configuration discussion.  Seems moving the config file
out of $PGDATA requies either:1) we specifiy both the config directory and the data directory onpostmaster start2) we
specifythe pgdata directory inside postgresql.conf orother config file

Is this accurate? </pre></blockquote> The patch that I have adds three settings to postgresql.conf and one command line
helpadministrators. <br /><br /> Bruce, can you shed some light as to why this is being so strongly rejected. I just
/><br/><blockquote cite="mid200302131845.h1DIjRH01532@candle.pha.pa.us" type="cite"><pre wrap="">