Re: location of the configuration files - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From mlw
Subject Re: location of the configuration files
Date
List pgsql-hackers
class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"href="mailto:pgsql@mohawksoft.com"><pgsql@mohawksoft.com></a> writes:
</pre><blockquotetype="cite"><pre wrap="">Here is the test, configure a server, with sendmail, named, apache, and

AFAIK, only one of those four is designed to support multiple instances
running on a single machine.  This is not unrelated.
 </pre></blockquote> While I will agree with you on sendmail and named, Apache is often run more than once with
differentoptions.<br /> Furthermore, I hate to keep bringing it up, Oracle does use the configuration file
methodology.<br/><br /> Tom, I just don't understand why this is being resisted so vigorously. What is wrong with
asa methodology, I don't think you can deny this, can you? I, as a long term PG user, really really want this, because
inthe long run, it makes PostgreSQL easier to administer.<br /><br /> If a patch allows PG to function as it does, but
alsoallows a configuration file methodology, why not?<br />