PL/Pgsql trigger function issue.. - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From James C. Ousley
Subject PL/Pgsql trigger function issue..
Date
List pgsql-sql
This is suppose to pull all the columns of the table that initiated the
trigger func from the sys catalogs, loop through them and put everything
that has changed between OLD and NEW into a comma delimited string for
input into a log like table for future analysis via middleware
(php,perl..,etc).  Here is the problem, OLD.A results in 'old does not
have field A', which is true. I cant get the OLD and NEW record objects
to realize that I want OLD.<string value of A> for the column
name instead of an explicit A as the column name.  The only way I can
find to make this work is by using TCL for the procedural language
because of the way it casts the OLD and NEW into an associative array
instead of a RECORD object, but by using TCL I will lose functionallity
in the "complete" version of the following function which has been
stripped to show my specific problem so using TCL is currently not in my
list of options.  Any insight will be greatly appreciated.
create or replace function hmm() returns TRIGGER as '
DECLARE
table_cols RECORD;
attribs VARCHAR;
A VARCHAR;
BEGIN
IF TG_OP = ''UPDATE'' THEN    FOR table_cols IN select attname from pg_attribute where attrelid =
TG_RELID and attnum > -1 LOOP     A := table_cols.attname;     IF OLD.A != NEW.A THEN  --Begin problem      IF attribs
!='''' THEN      attribs := attribs || '','' || table_cols.attname || ''='' ||

OLD.A || ''->'' || NEW.A;      ELSE      attribs := table_cols.attname || ''='' || OLD.A || ''->'' || NEW.A;      END
IF;    END IF;    END LOOP;

END IF;
RAISE EXCEPTION ''%'', attribs;
RETURN NULL;