Re: help: pgSQL docs and debug - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Tomasz Myrta
Subject Re: help: pgSQL docs and debug
Date
List pgsql-sql
Vic Cekvenich wrote:
> I need to write some longer pgSQL stored procedures.
>
> Can you help?
> 1. I am looking for a reference of pgSQL functions, etc.?
> (I have all the books, they have just a few, I also looked all over the
> web).
> If you can post a link, tia.
Start from "Chapter 19. PL/pgSQL - SQL Procedural Language" on Postgresql documentation.
I think, you can find there everything you need for pl/pgsql.
After you read this, search techdocs.postgresql.org site.
Lots of examples could be find on braseiro.net (don't remember spelling)

> For example, what does the || do in pg SQL with a string?
> I am looking at code examples and having a hard time to follow.
|| has nothing to pl/pgsql. It is a part of SQL standard - string concatenation.
>

> 2. How do I debug pgSQL stored procedure?
> Right now I write step by step.
> Is there a "system.out" in pgSQL? Where does it show?
> Is there a GUI editor that helps (I use pgADMIN II).
Use "RAISE NOTICE ''My name is: %'',some_row.name " and "RAISE EXCEPTION ..."

Regards,
Tomasz Myrta