Re: How to solve error IpcSemaphoreCreate in Cygwin - Mailing list pgsql-cygwin

From Justin Clift
Subject Re: How to solve error IpcSemaphoreCreate in Cygwin
Date
List pgsql-cygwin
Cornelia Boenigk wrote:
> Hello All
>
> When trying to start postmaster (7.3.1) the following error occurs:
>
> IpcSemaphoreCreate: semget(key=5432083, num=17, 03600) failed: No space
> left on device
>
> This error does *not* mean that you have run out of disk space.
>
> It occurs when either the system limit for the maximum number of semaphore
> sets (SEMMNI), or the system wide maximum number of semaphores (SEMMNS),
> would be exeeded. You need to raise the respective kernel parameter.
>
> How can I change the kernel parameters in Cygwin? Or is there any other
> solution to this problem?

Hi Connie,

You need to take a look at the file called postgresql-7.3.1.README in:

\usr\doc\Cygwin\

It explains what causes this problem, and how to download cygipc to get
around it.  With the present version of PostgreSQL 7.3.1 in the cygwin
distribution, using cygipc 1.13-2 does work, but version 1.11-x doesn't.

Hope that helps.

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift