Re: On-disk bitmap index patch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Luke Lonergan
Subject Re: On-disk bitmap index patch
Date
List pgsql-hackers
I think we do know, have you reviewed the results in the briefing?

- Luke

-----Original Message-----
From:     mark@mark.mielke.cc [mailto:mark@mark.mielke.cc]
Sent:    Tuesday, July 25, 2006 01:09 AM Eastern Standard Time
To:    Tom Lane
Cc:    Bruce Momjian; Jie Zhang; Hannu Krosing; Gavin Sherry; pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org; Luke Lonergan
Subject:    Re: [HACKERS] On-disk bitmap index patch

On Tue, Jul 25, 2006 at 12:36:42AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> mark@mark.mielke.cc writes:
> > Reading 1/4, for a larger table, has a good chance of being faster than
> > reading 4/4 of the table. :-)
> Really?
>
> If you have to hit one tuple out of four, it's pretty much guaranteed
> that you will need to fetch every heap page.  So using an index provides
> zero I/O savings on the heap side, and any fetches needed to read the
> index are pure cost.  Now you have to demonstrate that the CPU costs
> involved in processing the index are significantly cheaper than the cost
> of just testing the WHERE qual at every heap tuple --- not a bet that's
> likely to win at a one-in-four ratio.

Haha. Of course - but that's assuming uniform spread of the values.
Next I would try clustering the table on the bitmap index... :-)

My databases aren't as large as many of yours. Most or all of them
will fit in 1 Gbytes of RAM. The I/O cost isn't substantial for these,
but the WHERE clause might be.

But yeah - we don't know. Waste of code or performance boost.

Cheers,
mark

--
mark@mielke.cc / markm@ncf.ca / markm@nortel.com     __________________________
 One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them, one ring to bring them all                      and in the darkness
bindthem...
                          http://mark.mielke.cc/