Re: not null - Mailing list pgsql-php

From Philipp Ottlinger
Subject Re: not null
Date
List pgsql-php
ryanne cruz wrote:

> hi list.
>
> i have a column that has a "not null" as its modifier. is there a way that i
> can remove that? or better yet to make it a "serial not null"?

It depends on your entitiy-relationship schema - usually it makes sense
to define things as "not null" and it shouldn't be considered to be
taken away just by chance !!!

Usually you can alter the TABLE to remove such constraints ...
SERIAL - if I'm not too mistaken - is automatically maintained by
postgres as an implicit sequence whose values are generated by calling
sequence.nextval autonomously everytime you "need" a value!

Yours,
Phil