pgtcl combined with view with certain insert/update-rules => crash - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Wolfgang Walter
Subject pgtcl combined with view with certain insert/update-rules => crash
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Hi,

since 7.3 we observe repeatable crashes of the backend under certain
conditions.

If pgtcl-function executes an INSERT-command via spi-exec on a view with
an INSERT-rule which actually does not do an insert but a SELECT instead
the backend crashes when the rule-execution finished.

This does not happen if you do the same INSERT via psql-tool or from
within a pgsql-function via EXECUTE.

The same is true for UPDATE-command/rule.

Executing an INSERT as last statement of a rules fixes the problem.

postgresql 7.2 works fine.

Example:

CREATE VIEW a AS
    SELECT f FROM b;

CREATE RULE r AS ON INSERT TO a DO INSTEAD (
    SELECT xyz(NEW.f);
);

xyz is any stored procedure (i.e. written in pgsql).

(though I don't think it is important that a stored procedured is called
at all via the select).

CREATE FUNCTION t () RETURNS VOID AS '
    spi_exec "INSERT INTO a (f) VALUES (''5'')"
' LANGUAGE 'pltcl';

Then calling t from psql i.e. leads to a crash.

If you change the rule r to

CREATE RULE r AS ON INSERT TO a DO INSTEAD (
    SELECT xyz(NEW.f);
    INSERT INTO dummy (bla) VALUES ('abcdefg');
);

(and table dummy exists of course)

then t works fine.

--