Re: [mail] Re: Win32 port patches submitted - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Hans-Jürgen Schönig
Subject Re: [mail] Re: Win32 port patches submitted
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Brian Bruns wrote:

>Problem is, nobody builds packages on windows anyway.  They just all
>download the binary a guy (usually literally "one guy") built.  So, let's
>just make sure that one guy has cygwin loaded on his machine and we'll be
>all set. </tougue in cheek>

Correct.
I wonder why we need a Windows port. I think it is more pain than sense.
In case of Windows I'd rely on a binary distribution and a piece of
documentation telling how the source can be built. I don't expect many
people to do it. Usually Open Source guys run *NIX

>Sorry, couldn't help myself...Seriously, it's a cultural thing, I wouldn't
>plan on a mighty hoard of windows database developers who are put off by
>commercial db's that run on unix and windows.  I imagine they are
>similarly off-putting if it were an option.

In case of SAP DB they use a tool kit for building

http://www.sapdb.org/develop/sap_db_development.htm

It is truly painful to build it - even on UNIX (I haven't tried on
Windows and I won't try in the future).
As far as I have seen it throughs millions of compiler warnings.
   Regards,       Hans

--
*Cybertec Geschwinde u Schoenig*
Ludo-Hartmannplatz 1/14, A-1160 Vienna, Austria