Re: getTableName - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Barry Lind
Subject Re: getTableName
Date
List pgsql-jdbc

Dror Matalon wrote:

> select a, b, c from foo, bar where foo.b = bar.d;
>
> I don't see any reason why the server shouldn't know that a and b came
> from foo and c came from bar. I agree though that there will be cases
> where the table is unknown.

The key here being that only the server can know this since the client
(jdbc in this case) can't get the information from simply parsing the
query string.  So this is a server enhancement request for the protocol
between the client and server.  There has been talk of changing the
protocol in 7.4.  So I would suggest that you take this request over to
the pgsql-hackers mail list for discussion there.  If the work were done
in the server to provide this information it will be easy to incorporate
it into the jdbc driver.

thanks,
--Barry