Re: RedHat attitude - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Scott Lamb
Subject Re: RedHat attitude
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Jean-Michel POURE wrote:
> Your opinion is that RedHat will not close RedHat database souces. On the
> converse, I think they will.
>
> Please consider RedHat 8.0 software installer, KDE 3.0 fork, etc... These are
> obvious moves towards reducing access to source code.

Every piece of software on my RedHat 8.0 CD comes with source code. No
exceptions. The RedHat 8.0 software installer is GPLed. Its home page
lives here: <http://rhlinux.redhat.com/anaconda/>. The source code is a
link away.

The KDE 3.0 fork...maybe you don't understand one of the critical points
of Free Software, so I'll help you out. Anyone can change anything about
the code that they don't like. That goes for distributors and end users.
RedHat has chosen to exercise that right. If you don't like it, you can
avoid using RedHat or exercise your own right to change it back. You can
argue about whether or not it's a change for the better, but they
unquestionably have the right to do it; the license is quite clear on
the subject. They distribute the patches they used. They are in full
compliance with the GPL.

There is no basis for saying that any of these is a move toward reducing
access to source code, much less an "obvious" one.

I agree with Gavin Sherry; what you are saying is slander. Please take
it elsewhere.

I'm grateful to RedHat for the time they've put into PostgreSQL, and
they can call it whatever they damn well please.

Scott