Re: Implicit transaction not rolling back after error - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Stephen Touset
Subject Re: Implicit transaction not rolling back after error
Date
List pgsql-general
On Dec 20, 2012, at 3:40 PM, Rob Sargent <robjsargent@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/20/2012 04:33 PM, Stephen Touset wrote:
>
>> So yes, AUTOCOMMIT is definitely on.
>
> What does \set show when entered from the psql command line?

   test=> \set
   AUTOCOMMIT = 'OFF'

*facepalm*.

Turns out someone put a .psqlrc with autocommit off in /etc/skel when the box was originally set up as a replacement
forour previous app server. Account users were created afterwards, and the change propagated to our application account
aswell as all of our individual accounts.

Why, though, would `SHOW AUTOCOMMIT` lie? And `SET AUTOCOMMIT TO off` says that capability is disabled. So how does the
configfile manage to do it?

Thanks for the insight!

--
Stephen Touset