Re: Why does everyone think MySQL is easier? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Shridhar Daithankar
Subject Re: Why does everyone think MySQL is easier?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 28 Nov 2002 at 15:35, Mats Lofkvist wrote:
> My experience is that the majority of the things considered
> easier to do in MySQL are just done differently in Postgres
> and hence makes Postgres look slightly harder to manage to
> those used to MySQL (and vice versa, but I suspect there
> are more people with MySQL experience trying out Postgres
> than the other way around).

I agree with that.. While I can start/stop/use postgresql in sleep, I can not
say for sure how to start mysql from command-line..

I just found it astonishigly difficult to start and manage.. Only way I could
get it working was to link /var/lib/mysql to a spacious location and use mysql
service.

And I am not satisfied with startup scripts provided with distros. They are
usually dumber than expected( Long time back, I wrote to mandrake to have
configurable database location after release of Mandrake 8.0.. No luck so
far..)

> The need for vacuum makes Postgres work less well straight
> out of the box, if you don't know about it your performance
> will slowly go down the drain. (I don't remember how the
> vacuum improvements in 7.3 change this, will a 7.3
> installation work reasonably well without vacuum being run
> at all e.g. in a scenario with lots of updates? (**))

In other words, 7.3 has good performance as it is. So if you vacuum, you will
see a really blazing performance..

Bye
 Shridhar

--
Absentee, n.:    A person with an income who has had the forethought to remove
himself from the sphere of exaction.        -- Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's