'7.3RC2 install problem - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jean-Christian Imbeault
Subject '7.3RC2 install problem
Date
List pgsql-general
First off I know this is FAQ and searched through the archives, but for
some reason archive search function is not working at
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/ ... I just get a time-out
waiting for results to come back ...

I'm trying to install 7.3RC2 on my Red Hat 7.2 Linux system but I get
two errors when running .configure. It can't find the readline libs or
the zlibs ...

But I checked and I'm pretty sure both are installed:

# rpm -i readline-4.2-2.i386.rpm
package readline-4.2-2 is already installed

# locate readline | grep so
/usr/lib/libreadline.so.4
/usr/lib/libreadline.so.4.2

# rpm -ih zlib-1.1.3-24.i386.rpm
package zlib-1.1.3-24 is already installed

The config.log give these as the paths it is looking in:

PATH: /usr/local/sbin
PATH: /usr/sbin
PATH: /sbin
PATH: /usr/bin
PATH: /bin
PATH: /usr/local/bin
PATH: /usr/X11R6/bin
PATH: /root/bin
PATH: /usr/local/pgsql/bin

I tried ./configure  --libdir=/usr/lib but that didn't help ...

Sorry for the simple question but how can I solve this?

Jc

PS If I *do* have the proper libs installed, shouldn't the configure
scripts be updated so that it can find the libs automatically?