Re: View and primary key - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Lamb
Subject Re: View and primary key
Date
List pgsql-general
Adrian Klaver wrote:
> I have set up a view with rules for insert,update and delete. I would like to
> be able to use this view from OpenOffice, however it will not allow editing
> of a table without a primary key. I cannot create a primary key because
> Postgresql says the column does not have a NOT NULL constraint. This column
> in the underlying table is NOT NULL. Is there a way to create a primary key
> on a view?

Nope, you can't have constraints on views. Typically what I've done with
similar things is to (1) make sure the column is a primary key in the
underlying table and (2) manually tell the tool the column in the view
is a primary key. I'd assume OpenOffice has some way to do that.