Re: Query optimization question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joe Conway
Subject Re: Query optimization question
Date
List pgsql-general
Daniel S. Myers wrote:
> Hi,
>     I’m working on a large-scale simulation study in biology, and
> I’m using PostgreSQL as the hub of a distributed computing system.
> Essentially, I have a single table containing 2.7 million rows, each of
> which represents a work unit to be processed (think SETI@Home). Among
> other fields, each row in the table contains a unique ID and a status,
> which is one of WAIT (not yet processed) OUT (processing) or DONE
> (completed). To dispatch a unit to a client, I’d like to pick a row with
> status = WAIT, mark it as OUT, and return the values. The problem I have
> is that finding a row takes a really long time (~22s on a 2-way PIII-700
> running Linux 2.4.19). My SQL looks like: select min(id) from analyses
> where status=’WAIT’. I have indexes on the id field and the status
> field, but an explain shows that they’re not being used—I’m assuming
> that the optimizer has decided that there’s no point in using the index,
> since it doesn’t sufficiently limit the scope of the search. Is there
> some optimization that I’m missing (I’ve tried indexes on status/id and
> id/status as well as the VACUUM and CLUSTER), or will I have to do
> something more than the naïve approach? (We’re actually sampling 2700
> points 1000 times, so I can use replicates_executed counters in each row
> and have a separate results table if I have to; it’d just be nice to
> keep things simple if possible).

You might try creating a partial index (see the CREATE INDEX page in the
documentation -- basically an index built on just part of a table qualified by
a where clause) on id where status='WAIT'. I've never actually used one
myself, but it seems like it might help in your situation. Also, instead of
min(id), try:

   select id from analyses where status=’WAIT’ order by id limit 1;

For reasons discussed before on the list (please search the archives), min()
won't use your index, but ORDER BY ... LIMIT can.

HTH,

Joe