Re: Doing sth. like oracles "connect by" - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joe Conway
Subject Re: Doing sth. like oracles "connect by"
Date
List pgsql-general
Harald Armin Massa wrote:
> What is the most effective and elegant way to substitute the connect by
> clause from oracle in postgresql?
>
> Explanation of connect by:
>
> with "connect by" in oracle it is possible to formulate queries returning
> whole hierarchies.

If you can try 7.3 (finishing beta, soon to be released), see
contrib/tablefunc for a function called connectby(). There is also a different
approach to the problem in contrib/ltree.

If you cannot use 7.3, there have been past discussions wrt implementing tree
structure -- search the mail archives. I *think* contrib/ltree might be
available backported to 7.2 -- yeah, from the README:

   "(version for 7.2 version is available from
    http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/postgres/gist/ltree/ltree-7.2.tar.gz)"

HTH,

Joe