Re: OID-problem: metadata: use of TableGen O/R-mapper - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Larry LeFever
Subject Re: OID-problem: metadata: use of TableGen O/R-mapper
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
Thanks much for your respective responses.

The relevant decision-maker(s) on my end will presumably consider your feedback and
tell me how they want me to handle this issue.

This morning, the precision-issue occurred to me.  I proceeded to develop a solution
involving "substring":
  "substring(current_timestamp, 0, 20)"
that seemed to truncate so as to leave off the entire fractional part of the
timestamp, which I believed is the issue.  Something similar is done in the
DAO-base-class used by TableGen, but only for Oracle.

You seem to be saying something slightly different: namely, that there's a degree of
precision (in terms of fractions of a second) that the stable driver does support,
instead of not supporting any fractional part.  Do I understand this correctly?

Also, is there any problem with putting CURRENT_TIMESTAMP into a timestamp(2) field?
That seems to be a case of a kind of "cast required, lest loss of precision" issue.
Not so?  If so, would my substring approach be preferred (or required)?

The CURRENT_TIMESTAMP, in this case, is being used in a trigger (for INSERT and UPDATE
timestamping).

Larry LeFever