Re: OID-problem: metadata: use of TableGen O/R-mapper - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Barry Lind
Subject Re: OID-problem: metadata: use of TableGen O/R-mapper
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
Larry,

Larry LeFever wrote:

> I didn't realize until just today that the latest stable version of the driver
> seems to have a problem with TIMESTAMP (or do I have a
> configuration-problem?).

The problem is that the 7.2 driver has a bug with understanding the
extra precision in the seconds.  In 7.1 the database only really
supported 9.99 for precision, but 7.2 can support upto 9.999999.  One
way to work around this problem is to create your columns with less
precision.  So instead of:
create table foo (col_a timestamp)
use:
create table foo (col_a timestamp(2))  - where two is two decimal digits
of precision

> I'm reluctant to use third-party beta-code on the current project; it handles
> "other people's money" and financial accounts.

I understand your reluctance, but 7.3 goes RC1 today.  And I personally
feel that the 7.3 driver is better than the 7.2 version.  And I am
currently running it on one production system.  (Of course as a
maintainer of the driver I probably should be using in it production
before anyone else :-)

> BTW, if this project could count on really speedy bug-fix responses from
> postgres-developers (or specifically from postgres JDBC-driver developers),
> perhaps use of 7.3 beta 3 in our production version would be worth the risk --
> though that would ultimately not be for me to say.

If you go the 7.3 route, use something more current thant beta3.  There
have been some fixes since beta3, one of which is very important.  I
will try to get RC1 builds posted to the website over the weekend, else
you can build from CVS.

thanks,
--Barry