Re: Upgrade to dual processor machine? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Shridhar Daithankar
Subject Re: Upgrade to dual processor machine?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 13 Nov 2002 at 9:14, Henrik Steffen wrote:
> 1) in the docs it says: shared_buffers should be 2*max_connections, min 16.
> now, you suggest to put it to 500-600 MB, which means I will have to
> increase shared_buffers to 68683 -- is this really correct? I mean,
> RAM is allready now almost totally consumed.

Yes. 2*max connection is minimum. Anything additional is always welcome as long
as it does not starve the system.

If you have a gig of memory and shared buffers are 536MB as you have indicated,
who is taking rest of the RAM?

What are your current settings? Could you please repost. I lost earlier
thread(Sorry for that.. Had a HDD meltdown here couple of days back. Lost few
mails..)

> 2) the database has a size of 3.6 GB at the moment... about 100 user tables.

500-600MB would take you comfortably in this case..

> 3) ok, I understand: I am not creating any indexes usually. Only once at night
> all user indexes are dropped and recreated, I could imagine to increase the
> sort_mem for this script... so sort_mem with 1024K is ok, or should it be
> lowered to, say, 512K ?

That actually depends upons size of table you are indexing and time you can
allow for indexing. Default is 4 MB. I would something like 32MB should help a
lot..

HTH

Bye
 Shridhar

--
QOTD:    "It seems to me that your antenna doesn't bring in too many    stations
anymore."