Help..Help... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Murali Mohan Kasetty
Subject Help..Help...
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi All,

We are using PostgreSQL 7.2.

We are running two processes accessing the same table using JDBC. Both
the
processes updates records in the same table. The same rows will not be
updated by the processes at the same time.

When the processes are run concurrently, the time taken is X seconds
each.
But, when we run the same processes together, we are seeing that the
time
taken is worse than 2X.

Is it possible that there is a contention that is occuring while the
records
are being written. Has anybody experienced a similar problem. What is
the
LOCK mechanism that is used by PostgreSQL.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Murali

Attachment