Re: Win2K Questions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jean-Luc Lachance
Subject Re: Win2K Questions
Date
List pgsql-general
Hey Tom,

Believe me I do not underestimate the impact.  Scanning the index is
different from navigating the index down the tree.

I work with fairly wide tables -- 20 to 30 times the width of the
indexed field, so even if the index was to double in size, it would
still be an order of magnitude smaller than the table.

The primary reason to have an index at all is that, because of its
structure, it allows quick access to the underlying record.

JLL