Re: CREATE TABLE/AS does not allow WITH OIDS? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas Lockhart
Subject Re: CREATE TABLE/AS does not allow WITH OIDS?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> How would we make use of 'hasoids' in the case of multiple source
> tables, or a source table defined by an SRF?

Choose a convention. At the moment, the first source table provides more
characteristics to the target than do the other sources, and that could
be true for OIDs also. I would be inclined to have the logic be that if
*any* source table has OIDs, then the target gets them. Unless it was
explicitly specified using the WITH/WITHOUT syntax of course.

> Unless we can define some consistent semantics for when we use the
> hasoids of the source table(s), I'd say we should just add the
> WITH/WITHOUT OIDS syntax.

Right. There is no problem coming up with consistant semantics, though
there may be a problem getting a consensus on what those should be.

In the meantime we have broken compatibility with the previous release
(since targets are created without OIDs) and should think about fixing that.
               - Thomas