Re: Vacuum full - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Justin Clift
Subject Re: Vacuum full
Date
Re: Vacuum full  (Andrew Sullivan <andrew@libertyrms.info>)
List pgsql-general
Andrew Bartley wrote:

> Thanks Justin,
>
> These tables will be used for reporting only, No update or insert activity
> at all.

As a thought, do you mean "no update or *delete* activity at all"?  No
insert activity would generally mean you have empty tables (unless using
COPY to gather data).

If you're only adding data, then selecting against that, and not
updating or deleting records, you should be fine to skip the VACUUM of
those tables.  Unsure as to whether you'd want to skip a seperate
ANALYZE of the tables though.

> Q1.
>
> Once a day
>
> All application table indexes are dropped.
>
> A vacuum full analyse is executed.
>
> Then all app table indexes are created.

Well, that should definitely keep things in check and maintainable.  :)

> Q2.
>
> We are running.  PostgreSQL 7.2.1 on i686-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC
> 2.95.4
>
> I know we are several versions behind.  Is there a known bug list for this
> version?

Hmmm.  Don't remember.  There are overview details of the changes in the
7.2.2 and 7.2.3 releases though on the PostgreSQL News page:

http://www.ca.postgresql.org/news.html

> I am also aware there is an upper limit on the number of transactions
> postgres can do before the DB needs vacuuming.  Somthing to do with tran ids
> wrapping or something.  Do you know anything about this?

Not my area.  One of the more-hard-core developers will be able to tell
you about this though.  From memory though it happens around the 2 or 4
billionth transaction mark, and something may have been done about it
for the upcoming 7.3 release (we're in beta testing of this at present).

Hope that helps.

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift