Re: protocol change in 7.4 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Christof Petig
Subject Re: protocol change in 7.4
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Neil Conway wrote:
>         (6) Protocol-level support for prepared queries, in order to
>             bypass the parser (and maybe be more compatible with the
>             implementation of prepared queries in other databases).

Let me add  (6b)    Protocol level support for query parameters. This would actuallymake (6) more powerful and speed up
nonprepared (but similar)queries via the query cache (which is already there IIRC).[I talk about   <statement> USING
:var... ]

  (n)    Platform independant binary representation of parameters andresults (like in CORBA). This can _really_ speed
upcommunicationwith compiled programs if you take the time toimplement it. This was previously planned for a
futureCORBAfe/be protocol, but this does not seem to come any timesoon.

 (n+1)    Optional additional Result qualifiers. E.g. dynamic embeddedsql has aflag to indicate that this column is a
key.Previously it wasimpossible to set this flag to a meaningful value. Alsothe standard has additional statistical
informationabout thesize of the column etc. If it's unclear what I'm talking aboutI will look up the exact location in
thestandard (it's embeddedsql, dynamic sql, get descriptor)

Yours   Christof