Re: [ADMIN] About lower and uppercase - Mailing list pgsql-general

From frbn
Subject Re: [ADMIN] About lower and uppercase
Date
List pgsql-general
select * from fruits where fruit_name ~* 'orange';

Stephan Szabo wrote:
On Mon, 4 Nov 2002, [iso-8859-1] Sonia S?nchez D?az wrote:

 >> Hi!
 >>
 >> I don't  know if this is possible from postgresql configuration...
 >>
 >> I want to ignore the use of uppercase and lowercase from the data restored
 >> into the DB...
 >>
 >> I mean, if I  write a query like this:
 >>
 >> select * from fruits where fruit_name like 'orange';
 >>
 >> I could get any result where the string looks like:
 >>
 >> orange
 >> Orange
 >> ORANGE
 >>
 >> Is it possible???

 >Not really without doing a little bit of changing
 >to the query (for example using ILIKE rather than LIKE
 >or lower(fruit_name) like 'orange' with an appropriate
 >index on lower(fruit_name).

Theoretically, it could perhaps be possible to create a locale
which compare 'orange' and 'OraNgE' equally and then
initdb in that locale, but I've never tried it so I don't
know if it'd work.