Re: float output precision questions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pedro Miguel Frazao Fernandes Ferreira
Subject Re: float output precision questions
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 29, 2002 at 23:19:05 +0100,
>   Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
>
>>There isn't a way right now, but it's planned to be able to dump
>>floating-point numbers in some binary form (like printf("%A")) to be able
>>to restore them exactly.  Not sure how that would satisfy the needs of
>>client interfaces, though.
>

> Why not print it as a floating binary number instead of a floating decimal
> number? I would think that would give you better portability than a system
> specific binary representation.

Having a way to get the binary storage representation for float numbers
would be good and would suffice within the same float number standard.

Thanks,
Pedro M. Ferreira

Pedro Miguel Frazao Fernandes Ferreira
Universidade do Algarve
Faculdade de Ciencias e Tecnologia
Campus de Gambelas
8000-117 Faro
Portugal
Tel./Fax:  (+351) 289 800950 / 289 819403
http://w3.ualg.pt/~pfrazao