Re: Selecting * from the base table but getting the inheriteds - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Tomasz Myrta
Subject Re: Selecting * from the base table but getting the inheriteds
Date
List pgsql-sql
Uz.ytkownik James Adams napisa?:
> Hello,
>
> I have a "baseTable".  I have a number of decendantTables that INHERIT
> from the base table.
>
> I want to do somthing like
>
> =>select * from baseTable;
>
> But I want it to return the data in the all the descendant tables along
> with the extra column that they contain.  How do I do this?

select *, cast(null as varchar) as another_field1, cast(null as int4) as another_field2
from only basetable
union
select *
from descent_table

Isn't it easier to just create baseTable with the same columns as
descent tables (and fill them with nulls)?

Tomasz Myrta