PREPARE / EXECUTE - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Hans-Jürgen Schönig
Subject PREPARE / EXECUTE
Date
Re: PREPARE / EXECUTE  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
First of all PREPARE/EXECUTE is a wonderful thing to speed up things
significantly.
I wonder if there is a way to store a parsed/rewritten/planned query in
a table so that it can be loaded again.

This might be useful when it comes to VERY complex queries (> 10 tables).
I many applications the situation is like that:

a. The user connects to the database.
b. The user sends various different queries to the server (some might be
the same)
c. The user disconnects.

If there was a way to store execution plans in a table the user could
load the execution plans of the most time consuming stuff into the
backend without parsing and optimizing it every time he authenticates.

Does it sound useful to anybody? Is it possible to do it or are there
some technical problems?

Maybe this is worth thinking about.
   Hans

--
*Cybertec Geschwinde u Schoenig*
Ludo-Hartmannplatz 1/14, A-1160 Vienna, Austria